This week I have focused on the mechanics of the Soul and how it will effectively fit into the gameplay.
The soul now has a collision sphere that when triggered, the soul will start to fly toward the player in a following state.
Once the following state has been triggered, the collider scales to the size of the soul and when it collides with the player it is removed from the scene, it also triggers a function which adds to the players collected soul number.
The next step is to now add a function for the player when they have souls collected they can interact with the scene.
Today’s efforts have been all about filling the scene with smaller objects to build a sense of detail and realism.
A large part of what will make this experience feel real will be having objects that the player can associate with real world activities.
I’m using my whiteboard kanban board to keep track of what models to create and to keep a sense of progression and as such motivation.
This last week has been spent making a really clear storyboard of the first level of the game, as I have quite a bit of story in this early scene it is vital it is delivered in a coherent and quite linear way.
Planning out each moment of the level like this will help deliver the right information at the right time.
For the subsequent levels that I hope to complete for the showcase after submission will have a much more free flow of information and player driven style of play instead of this levels linearity.
Today I was hoping to get quite a few tasks done and get back on track with my HacknPlan.
I should be modelling the elevator and the furniture, but because of my schedule upset because of the lightmap issues in Unreal I now only have a day to get on with the elevator and get stuck into the furniture.
The plan of action for today is to tie up the loose end jobs for the architecture and then get started making props for the reception room, which will give me a nice feel for how filled rooms need to be and it will give me a nice base of assets to spread across the other rooms.
I have decided to use HacknPlan as my macro project management and a kanban whiteboard to focus on the micro tasks such as each individual assets, this also gives me a nice tangible sense of progression.
The kanban board is a slight variation on the standard technique, but I will try it out and see how effective it is for my productivity.
This week the whole of the ground floor has finally been assembled, including all wall, floor and ceiling architecture. Though some major lighting issues have raised their heads.
As can be seen in the video, the use of modular wall sections in Unreal is not supported without a lot of extra work. This may mean i have to take each section of room and join it into singular walls. It’s not a lot of work and luckily I have a few days slack time before my next task completion in my hack n plan.
I did try to find a work around for the issue by posting a picture of the issue on the Epic forums (https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?134472-Modular-Environment-Seams).
I got a reply that directed me to the Unreal troubleshooting page about lighting (https://wiki.unrealengine.com/LightingTroubleshootingGuide#Shadow_Seams.2FShading_Differences_with_Indirect_Lighting).
Sadly this is a known issue and there is a work around but so far it hasn’t helped much.
So some additional modelling on the architecture is therefore required, but since I have already made headway on my prop modelling it won’t put me too far out of schedule.
A small update on progress of Raptured.
As you can see above I have now got a good foundation for the white box level and have started to move these boxes into 3DS Max to use as size guides to make the real models.
I used an average female human made in Make Human (http://www.makehuman.org/) as a guide for sizing along with the Unreal standard human.
I also made a start on one of the core parts of the game, the dialogue. The script itself isn’t very extensive but the amount of different voices and sound clips is going to be. Each piece of dialogue gives more hints toward the overall story and as such is quite vital they make sense, are short enough to hear all of of and are coherent with the rest to make a solid story.
In the coming week I hope to have the white box entirely populated and coloured to make it clearer and then to be well on the way to starting asset creation.
After watching an interesting documentary called ‘Minimalism: A documentary about the important things’ (https://minimalismfilm.com/) which was inspired by The Minimalists (http://www.theminimalists.com/) Joshua Fields Millburn & Ryan Nicodemus. The Minimalism philosophy is the idea of minimising your possessions and as such distractions, this helps to provide a clearer picture of your life and what it takes to be happy. After watching this the game design quadrant of my brain fired into action.
Scribbled ideas for the concept and design.
This documentary really interested me and although I probably won’t be minimising my life (I like my stuff too much) it did remind me a lot of meditation. If you’ve ever tried to meditate and clear your mind you’ll know how difficult it is to keep a clear mind without every little thing slipping into view and becoming a thought or internal discussion.
Scrawled style ideas and list of distractions the game throws at you.
I loved the ideas of that constant struggle for peace and minimalism, so I designed a simple game/experience to demonstrate this and perhaps give your mind something to focus on that could almost be a form of meditation in itself.
If I make this I’ll be sure to send it to Josh and Ryan.